Tuesday, November 10, 2020

A Quiet Thanksgiving

 

Birds in the Bamboo Watercolor by: Aoki

Sitting in my 150 square foot studio apartment, looking out a window. When the blinds are open, there are reminders of possibilities I hadn't considered. For one, letting the world come in a little. Thanksgiving is a few weeks away, and in normal years, aka before corona virus, a plan would magically formulate for a family gathering with little preparation on my part. Someone else would host, someone else would organize sleeping arrangements and elaborate shopping and cooking agendas. Being a 2nd grade teacher has given me a pass on those staples of the holiday. As my thoughts of a destination with a specific home in which to celebrate the feast dance through my mind, I see a distant flash of iridescent green. A little hummingbird investigates a leaf on a very tall bamboo plant, perhaps hoping for an edible reward. And since I'm lucky enough to have two windows within view, I see the same bird dash over to the bushy tree with sunny-side up looking blossoms. Maybe I can learn from her. Thanksgiving can be many small noshes in many beautiful nooks.   

No comments: